Klamath County Is Home To Over 350 Bird Species.
Klamath County in southern Oregon is home to six national wildlife refuges, each offering a unique and diverse range of wildlife habitats and recreational opportunities. These refuges are part of the larger Klamath Basin National Wildlife Refuge Complex and cover over 200,000 acres of land.
The Tule Lake National Wildlife Refuge is the largest of the six and provides important habitat for migratory birds such as snow geese and sandhill cranes. Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge was the first national wildlife refuge established in the United States and is home to over 200 species of birds, including bald eagles and peregrine falcons.
Upper Klamath National Wildlife Refuge is known for its wetlands and is a popular spot for bird watching and hunting. Clear Lake National Wildlife Refuge is a small refuge with a unique, natural volcanic lake that provides habitat for waterfowl and other wildlife, closed to public access. Bear Valley National Wildlife Refuge is a seasonal refuge that provides an important breeding habitat for waterfowl and other birds, also closed to public access.
Finally, Klamath Marsh National Wildlife Refuge is a high elevation marsh that is home to a variety of waterfowl and other birds, as well as mammals such as black bears and mountain lions. Together, these six national wildlife refuges in Klamath County offer visitors an unparalleled opportunity to experience the natural beauty and diversity of southern Oregon.
- Klamath Wildlife Area, Miller Island
- Putnam Point
- Wood River Wetland
- Link River Trail
- Wingwatchers Lake Ewauna Nature Trail
- Moore Park Nature Trail
- Eagle Ridge/Shoalwater Bay
- Veteran’s Park
- Running Y Resort – Skillet Handle Trail
- View more Top Birding Hotspots and real time bird counts in Klamath County at ebird.org
Guided Birding Adventures
- ROE Outfitters is your gateway to adventure in Southern Oregon. We’ve been guiding families and friends on the rivers, lakes and through the forests and fields of this region since 1984. We consider it a privilege to share in your adventure to Southern Oregon and we are excited to introduce you to all that we love and admire about the area.
- Lonesome Duck for World Class Birding and Wildlife Watching: Lonesome Duck is a nature lover’s dream. Bird watching is a major attraction. Lonesome Duck Ranch is located near the north end of the Klamath Basin along the Pacific Flyway. The ranch itself is a great birding destination and nestled in the sagebrush and Ponderosa along the beautiful Williamson River.
- Sky Lakes Wilderness Adventures offers unique birding kayak tours for nature enthusiasts, providing an up-close experience with various bird species in their natural habitat.
- View more birding guides here.